Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Week 22 - August 28/29 Vegetable Garden

I can tell that is coming to the end of garden season with one look at my garden.  The potato plants and onions have died back and are just waiting to be dug.  The lettuce is going to seed.  The cucumbers are turning yellow.  It is all somewhat depressing.

I spent some time in the garden today, pulling some weeds and grass that were starting to take over the world that is my garden.  I picked a couple of baskets of cucumbers and started a batch of icicle pickles and I am hoping that after my holidays this week, I'll have enough ripe tomatoes for a batch of salsa.  I know that I will have enough beets to do another couple batches of pickled beets in the coming weeks.

My sad looking veggie garden . . .

Potatoes . . . dead and ready to be dug . . .

Lettuce is going to seed . . . at least the bunnies will still eat it!

Yellow cucumbers . . . too much heat and sun the last few days, we need some rain!  But they still work for pickles.

Parsley is still looking GREAT!  Any suggestions on what I can do with A LOT of parsley?

Mystery pepper . . . I am sure they were all supposed to be regular bell peppers . . .


Monster zucchini . . . 5 pounds each!  Made 9 bags (3cups each) of grated zucchini for the freezer!

Monster zucchini!

Lots of cucumbers for pickles!

24 cups of cut up cucumbers for icicle pickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment