Monday, June 28, 2010

Week 13 - June 26/27 - Vegetable Garden

 This weekend pretty much mirrored last weekend in the vegetable garden.  There were more weeds than I would have liked in the garden, but that is the price you pay for gardening with natural fertilizer (manure straight fromt eh barn yard) and no chemicals to control weeds.  For the most part, I don't mind working in the garden, it is a little discouraging right now but if I keep at it every weekend and try not to let any of the nasty weeds to go to seed, it should get better!


The rows of veggies are taller and the weeds are shorter than last weekend, but I think there are just as many of them!


As long as I keep at it EVERY weekend, most of the weeds in between the rows are small enough that I can get them with the hoe, which makes everything much faster and easier on the back!  And it's a good work out for my arm muscles!  I got through the whole thing with the hoe and then through about half of it, hand weeding right up close to the rows.  


It is amazing what a difference an hour with a hoe can make!

Everything is growing really well, expect the potatoes.  Quite a few of them didn't come up, which is really odd, because I have always had really good luck with potatoes.  I am going to have to find some more seed potatoes and throw some more in the empty spaces.


Zucchini

Kale (almost big enough for the bunnies to start having a nibble, they will be so excited!)

Green Leaf Lettuce

Red Leaf Lettuce

Beets
Carrots



No comments:

Post a Comment