Wednesday, June 2, 2010

How Do Your Vegetables Grow?

My vegetable garden.

May 24, 2010, Victoria Day, I spent the morning playing in the dirt planting my vegetable garden.  I planned and mapped everything out a head of time, however I did a lot of revising as I planted.  But, except for tomato and pepper plants, everything got planted.  It was far too hot and dry that day (and most days since) to plant my tiny tomato and pepper plants that Margaret, my sister-in-law and good friend, generously started for me.


All the goodies that I had to plant.

My garden map . . .

After years of dealing with seeds that germinate far more slowly than they should, grew in patches or just didn't grow at all, I decided to splurge this year and ordered my seeds from Vesseys.  So far, I think that was a good decision.  Despite very hot, dry weather, by Sunday (less than a week after planting) there were already a few things starting to come up.

Potatoes - Red Chieftans (not from Vesseys, they came from the local farm supply store)

Spanish Onions (not from Vesseys, they came from the local farm supply store)

Kale

Cucumber (I didn't check when I took the photo which kind it was).

Watching my garden grow each year is very exciting for me and I am sure that this year will be no different!  I am looking forward to continuing to share it with you!

Here is a list of all the seeds that I planted:

Cucumber: Summer Dance (12-14" cucumbers, 45 days)
Calypso (pickling cucumbers 50 days)
Talladega (8.5" cucumbers 45 days)

Carrots: Napoli (55days)
Arrowhead (60-65 days)
Sweetness III (70-75 days)

Beets: First Crop (45 days)
Rodina (50-55 days)
Detroit Dark Red Supreme (60 days)

Parsley: Forest Green (curly leaf)
Italian Dark Green

Lettuce: Annapolis (red romaine, 65-70 days)
Green Forest (green romaine, 70 days)
Calvary (red leaf, 29 days for baby leaf)
Simpson Elite (green leaf, 48-50 days)

Basil: Purple Ruffles
Sweet Basil

Zucchini: Summer Squash (47 days)

Dill: Bouquet Dill

Cilantro/Corriander

Swiss Chard: Kaleidoscope

Kale: Blue Curled Scotch Kale


1 comment: