Saturday, April 10, 2010

Gardening and Me

Gardening is something that I have always done.  My mother is an avid gardener, both flowers and vegetables.  As a child, I spent hours in the gardens with my mother.  As a teenager, I did everything I could to avoid gardening with my mother!  Now, I regret those hours that I could have been gardening with her and learning about something that has now become something that I love.

When we moved into our house in 2003, the yard was a mess.  There were severely neglected flower gardens on two sides of the house as well as two small ones at the end of the yard.  I spent hours that first summer, just working to make them look presentable.  Sadly, I had to let the two small ones in the yard turn back to lawn as they were just too far gone and I didn't have the time to redo them.

Since that first summer, I have added many perennials to the flower gardens along the house, put in a large vegetable garden and an herb garden.  Many of the perennials that I have planted have come from my mother's gardens, which is a good thing, because I have a horrible memory when it comes to plant names and I can call on her to identify them for me (over and over again!).  I have plans for more gardens around my yard when time and money permit.

I hope to share my gardening journey, experiences and photos here at My Almost Green Thumb.  Maybe someone will enjoy looking at my photos, maybe someone will enjoy reading my musings, maybe someone will even learn something from me!  And it will be a place for me to look back in years to come to see when I planted my potatoes and what kind of carrots I planted in 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment