Monday, June 6, 2011

June 4/5 - Herb Garden

Cleaning out my Herb Garden was my big project last weekend.  And unfortunately, it is an ongoing project.  The weeds and grass have taken over.  Despite having covered the bottom of the garden with heavy plastic, the roots have pushed up through it.  The soil is a mess of roots.  

I started by digging out the herbs that were trying to grow and putting them into flower pots for now.  I hope that they survive until I can finish and get them replanted into the herb garden, but there was no way I could clean it out around them.  If they don't survive, I will just get new ones and start over completely.

Once the things I wanted to save were out, I just started pulling and digging.  I am no where near done and I have already gotten rid of 2 full wheelbarrows of roots.  Although it is a frustrating job, it will be worth it when it is done to have my nice herb garden back again!

This is what the herb garden looked like when I started!

The soil is filled with root masses like this.

And long roots like this.

Roots, roots, everywhere!

I had to cut this one off because it was coming up from under the plastic and was as big around as my finger.

No where near done, but I have made some progress!





No comments:

Post a Comment