Monday, September 13, 2010

Week 23 - Sept 4/5 & Week 24 - Sept 11/12 -Vegetable Garden

Nothing much to say again . . . everything is slowly dying back as we slowly make our way into fall.

 I still have to dig the potatoes and there are quite a few ripe tomatoes that need to be picked.  

I am hoping to get enough tomatoes to make at least one batch of salsa this week or on the weekend.  And maybe get some into the freezer, but it wasn't the best year for them.  Maybe next year will be better.

Lettuce has all gone to seed, so it will probably just get used up as bunny food.  I have decided not to bother with romaine lettuce again next year, the red romaine didn't form heads at all, it was just the same as the red leaf lettuce that I planted and the green started to form heads and then suddenly shot up really tall and went to seed before it was big enough to use. 

Vegetable Garden . . . slowly shifting into fall mode!

Tomatoes . . . 

Lettuce . . . gone to seed.



The Herb Garden

The Herb Garden has gone a little wild and crazy too!  But that's OK, I'll just trim everything back before winter and it will all start off nice and small again next year.   I didn't get any scarlet runners this year.  Next year, I will have to find a new location or just not bother with them.  

Also, I think that it is time to rip everything out of the thing and start over with new soil.  When I started this garden, I covered the bottom of it with plastic and put it down on top of grass.  It has been a few years and there is some grass coming up through the plastic and although not a lot of it actually comes up through the top of the soil as grass, almost the entire thing is a mess of little tiny roots growing through the soil.  So, in the spring, I would like to dig all the perennial herbs and get rid of all the soil that is currently in it and fill it back up with manure from my grandfather's farm.  But we'll see what happens in the spring!


No comments:

Post a Comment