Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Vegetable Garden - August 31

I have avoided doing a post about the vegetable garden for a couple of weeks, because, well, I was more than a little bit discouraged . . . two Saturdays ago, I spent a fair bit of time in the garden and also tweeting my disappointment.  Here are those tweets, which my exact thoughts on my garden at the time.

Peppers are small and kind of bitter. Plants are very wilted. Carrots aren't even as big around as Liam's fingers. 

Lettuce is done. Swiss chard and kale are dying already, they usually last until frost.

There are hardly any cucumbers, this time last year I was pickling like crazy to keep up with them.

Onions aren't even as big as golf balls, hardly any zucchini, dug 4 hills of potatoes and not even enough for a meal.



All I can figure is that it is the lack of rain that we've had this year, but it is so discouraging.

Next year, I will be getting lots & lots of cow manure from the farmer next door to fertilize. And watering sooner if dry!

OK, I think I am done complaining about my garden. Just needed to get the frustration out! Thanks for listening!! 

On a more positive note, the beets are doing incredibly well, just brought in a bucket of them to make pickled beets! 



And the tomatoes that ripen without rotting are super yummy! 



Since then, my outlook has improved somewhat.  I am still disappointed in parts of the garden.  But the tomatoes have started to ripen.  Even the romas are starting to ripen without rotting.  The broccoli looks like it is almost ready.  There have been fresh blossoms on the zucchini.  And the cherry tomatoes that seeded themselves down from last year are doing great!  




No comments:

Post a Comment