Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Victoria Day Weekend

As always, Victoria Day weekend is my garden planting weekend and despite having other commitments for much of that weekend, I still managed to get my gardening mostly accomplished!

There was a lot of preparation before the garden could be planted.  Despite every year saying "Next year I will get it tilled early and not have it overgrown with weeds when I want to plant it" the vegetable garden was overgrown with weeds when it was time to plant.

It took me a couple of hours of digging to get all the weeds out and then Henry tilled it for me and I was ready to go!

On Victoria Day, I planted carrots, beets, onions, lettuce (2 kinds), cucumbers (3 kinds), zucchini, swiss chard and kale in the vegetable garden.  I also planted basil, dill, cilantro and parsley in the herb garden.
Because I was so busy leading up to my planting weekend, I hadn't had the time to buy tomato and pepper plants or seed potatoes, but they went in this past weekend.


The vegetable garden ... over grown with weeds!

Yikes!  What was I thinking?

If you ignore the weeds, they do not go away, they get bigger!

Tilled and ready to plant!  Thanks Henry!

Let's do it!

Seeds are all planted!!

I know, not much to see, but it was a nice feeling of accomplishment!

The herb garden ... also overrun with weeds.

Apparently stirring up the soil woke up a million little seeds!

Weeds gone (for now!) and seeds planted!

Tomato and pepper plants planted! 

Tomatoes in their new home!

Grow little tomato grow!

Orange pepper this year!

I think I was mistaken when I sent Henry to the store to get 10 pounds of seed potatoes, it was a lot more than I expected!!

But they are all (3 rows) tucked in tight, hope they start to grow soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment